On Accessible Wellness
What a time to be alive. We're all feeling a shift.
I'm sure you're being bombarded with endless news of CV. This note is simply to say hi, hello, we're in this together! This too shall pass.
I'm forever grateful for you! And so hopeful for the world that we can create, collectively. Especially when the unknown begins to surface. That's part 1.
Part 2, is for a while I've been meaning to share accessible wellness practices.
Now seems like a pretty good time!
The multi-billion dollar self-care industry can feel inaccessible — from the $$$ products, to facials, massages, vegan-gluten-free-hand-pressed-crystal-infused green juices, down to the bare necessities of a broken health care system... it can feel beyond our reach just to take care of ourselves.
Yet wellness practices have been around for millennia. The plants and fungi and water and sunshine and energy that we evolved with hold some of the most healing properties.
(NOTE: health care is a human right and the U.S. needs to step up. We need both preventative and immediate care.)
Supporting our mind-body-spirit day in, day out enables our immune system to do what it's designed to do — heal itself — when (inevitable) challenges do come up.
Here are my daily go-to, holy grail, preventative, immunity-boosting staples on a bootstrapping, entrepreneurial budget:
1. Shilajit — the #1 prescription from my Ayurvedic doctor. The only substance (aside from ghee) according to Ayurveda that reaches all the cells of the body. Shilajit contains a complex network of more than 85 different vitamins and minerals, including iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, carotenoids, retinol, B, C, and E vitamins, and much more. So many things that our modern bodies are deficient in.
2. Ashwagandha — nervous system support. Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, meaning it sends help where it's needed most. Especially good for stress. Yes pls.
3. Triphala — digestive support. "You are what you digest." Our gut is said to be our second brain. There is so much about our microbiome that we have yet to uncover, but we do know for sure that if things aren't running smoothly, something's up.
4. Mushrooms — some of the most important life-saving medications come from fungi (think penicillin). Mushrooms have an intelligence that we are just beginning to discover, with the potential to clean oil spills, cure cancers, and connect us to higher consciousness. Imagine what they can do for our mind/body. These 5 shroomies everyday.
5. Sunshine — humans evolved with the sun, and yet we're living in a vitamin D deficient society. Sunshine is essential for the proper functioning of all the major organs. At the moment, vitamin D is one of the nutrients being recommended by doctors to prevent coronavirus. Get outside for some free sunshine! No sunscreen (in moderation).
6. Meditation — to receive, to stay in your body, in your breath, stay in this moment, and truly feel the connection we all share. This is THE time to practice. If you're staying home, there are so many ways to get into the flow remotely: HenryYoga, OmStars, Ra Ma Institute, Biet Simkin, Journey.
7. Whole, unprocessed foods — "The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.” — Ann Wigmore
Aka perimeter shopping — the fruits, veggies, and bulk goods. Avoid grains and sugar, they are known to suppress immunity.
8. Purified water — water is considered the strongest element by many traditions. Water offers rebirth, cleansing, blessing and protection. Think about it... washing your hands is one of the most important things you can do right now. And yet, our tap (and bottled) water contains toxic contaminants — arsenic, lead, mercury, chlorine, herbicides, pesticides, antibiotics, microplastics (the list goes on). Drinking this everyday is also a "slow form of poison." If you're able to, invest in a quality water filter.
9. Sleep — zzzz. It's not just about the hours of sleep, but when you get it. Deep, regenerative sleep occurs between 10 PM and 2 AM. This is when the body goes into restorative non-REM sleep and has a chance to repair itself. Rest/sleep is the foundation of health. Take care and rest up!
10. Extra supplements for the current moment — Zinc, Liquid Lozenges, Vitamin C (1000mg per day), Vitamin D (2-5000 units per day), Astragalus.
We are always always in it together.