This white sage is sustainably harvested in California by a family owned farm. During harvest it is never pulled by the root, only the branches and leaves are collected to ensure the plant comes back year after year, as it has done for thousands of years.
White sage is a sacred, medicinal plant, used to cleanse negative energy. Sage belongs to the Salvia plant family and is derived from the Latin word salvere, which means "to heal." It also has powerful antimicrobial and antibacterial qualities, which is why it is a star ingredient in our Sage & Citrus Yoga Mat Cleanser.
Due to overharvesting, climate change, and habitat loss, white sage is unfortunately at risk. It is suggested to use a single leaf or two for smoke cleansing. The scent is so potent — it is truly unnecessary to use an entire bundle all at once. We offer this white sage in a bundle to minimize packaging, but it is very easy to take out individual leaves. Plus your bundle will last so much longer!
Our partner Incausa is a grassroots organization committed to Indigenous social entrepreneurship and sustainability. Their products are fair trade certified from sourcing to fulfillment. Even the offscourings from sage, wood and resins that fall during handling and processing are not wasted, but captured and recycled to produce incense (yes to this!).
*A note from our founder — While sage and Palo Santo burning has become more and more trendy, it very much remains a sacred ceremonial purifying ritual in many Indigenous cultures. A practice that only up until recently was illegal and prosecuted. Overharvesting, exploitation, and cultural appropriation are major issues today. We will only be offering small batches of sage and Palo Santo. Truth be told, I was hesitant to even offer these medicinal plants in our store, but I also want to provide a sustainable, ethically-sourced alternative to what is being sold in retail chain stores for our customers. Please only purchase what you need. In gratitude Xx, Ksenia
- To use
- End of life
- Happiness guarantee
- wild white sage (Salvia apiana)
- sold as a bundle
- 3"-4" long
- Hold the sage at a 45-degree angle, light it with a match or candle and let it burn for a few seconds. Then gently blow out the flame so that you see orange embers on one end. The smoke should now rise up.
- Gently wave the smoke over the areas you'd like to cleanse (including yourself), or place into a fireproof vessel while the smoke does its thing.
- To extinguish your sage, press the burning tip into a fireproof surface, dirt, or sand until the smoke stops. Reuse the leaf/bundle until it is all burned.
- White sage and cotton string are 100% biodegradable.
- It is considered disrespectful to throw away white sage, even after it has burned. Return the white sage ash (and the negative energy it has cleansed for you) to the earth by burying it in the ground (or with your plants). The earth and plants will thank you!
We love our products and think you will too! If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, return it for a full refund or exchange within 14 days. No questions asked.
Our products are natural, sustainable, and plant-based. No junk, no toxins, no synthetics, no plastic. 100% biodegradable and recyclable, including the packaging. From the earth to the earth. Learn how we pack.