DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner
A DIY yoga mat cleaner with just 4 ingredients (one of which is water, and the rest you probably already have).
As we practice, we release a lot of energy. “Exhale, release anything that no longer serves you…” Energy doesn’t just disappear. Some of it transfers into our space and onto our mat.
That’s why it’s such an important practice to regularly cleanse your mat and your space of negative energy that may have gotten stuck. With essential oils and via smudging with energy-cleansing plants like Sage and Palo Santo.
Add a mantra as you clean, and you’ve got your bases covered!
Try HUNG VAJRA PEY. Chant the mantra silently as you clean.
The below ingredients cost only a little upfront moolah and last for yeaaars.
Essential oils can be multi-purposed for aromatherapy, medicinal use, skincare, cleansing/clearing, and witch hazel is an amazing natural astringent (part of my everyday skincare routine). Super quick and easy to make!
The wonderful thing about using essential oils to clean your natural mat is that not only do they remove germs and odors, they cleanse it energetically as well #multitask.
- 1 cup distilled/spring water – filtered water ensures a contaminant-free zone
- (optional) 1/4 cup witch hazel – natural astringent that removes excess oil
- 10-15 drops tea tree essential oil – powerful antibacterial and antiseptic properties
- (optional) 6-10 drops lavender essential oil – antioxidant, antimicrobial, calming
- Mix the above ingredients in order and you have yourself a mat cleansing spray. Transfer to a glass spray bottle. Glass is best as the essential oils can corrode plastic over time.
Place the bulk of the mix in a larger spray bottle, and pour a little into a smaller, on-the-go bottle, to have on the ready in your yoga bag.
To use, spray your mat, wipe down with a cloth, and let dry. Cleaning recommended 2-3x weekly, more frequently with heated classes.